Hot!

IS BEING BORN A NIGERIAN A CRIME? -BY CHARLES IDEHO


God asked, "Where do you wish to be born?"
"Germany."
"Switzerland."
"United States."
These were responses from others.


"You, yes, you. Where do you wish to be born?" God asked me. At this point, I hadn't been called  Charles, for I hadn't yet been born into the terrestrial world but only had a celestial identity.

"Nigeria," I answered, with heightened expectations. Expectations of the potential that awaited me in a country that only nearly 10 years earlier had just been granted Independence.

There couldn't have been a more prosperous country to be wished to born in at the time. I was fascinated by the people. Their diversity, their National Anthem, "Nigeria, We Hail Thee", among others, were sweet music to my spirit and soul.

The news of the prosperity of the cocoa Western Nigeria dominated the spirit realm. I wanted to be born in Ibadan, for its rustic beauty, its educated people, its beautiful attire. But then I heard of the Midwest Region. I paused. I saw the great Bini Kingdom, its earlier trade interactions with the Portuguese, its lineage of Kings and well developed leadership system. Then I chose to be born in the Midwest.

"Midwest Nigeria!" I told God. And God granted my wish. Others looked at me and thought I had made the wrong choice. "How can you ask to be born in that country of numerous ethnicities?" the one that chose Switzerland asked me. "Your first major challenge would be the confusion about so many ethnic groups and how to bring all together to accept a common heritage. I don't have to bother about all that as a Swede," I was told.
"Me too."
"Me too."




Others looked at me. "And your skin will be black. Your hair will have no beauty. You will put your intellect to use only on arguments about ethnicities and how to satisfy the one over the others," the others told me.
"I wish to be born in Nigeria," I repeated.

Now, as I look at this same country that fascinated me while still in the celestial community where peace predominates, I wonder if indeed I should have chosen Switzerland. I wonder if being a German would have incubated my potential better for excellent results. I wonder if the United States would have helped me realize my life's yet to be fulfilled dreams.

Who has bewitched my beloved Nigeria. Who has stolen the sanity of the country of my dreams?

I never asked to be born in a country where leaders lead only themselves and wish the rest of us were dead.

I never wished to born in a country where the police, sustained by the proceeds of our taxes, turn the guns bought for them to protect us against us.

I never wished to be born in a country where herdsmen practice the use of butchers’ knives, soldiers’ riffles on defenceless people while the leaders watch and applaud them, rewarding us with pains, anguish and hopelessness.

Osanobuah knows that I never wished to be born in a country where crimes against humanity are rewarded with chieftaincy titles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comments from our readers do not represent the editorial policy of The Bulletin Press.